Mobile devices have become one of the essential items of our day to day life. Even the thought of misplacing or losing it appears to be really scary. Unfortunately, some of us had to experience the stress of losing a mobile phone and had no idea what to do next. Well, this is a nerve-racking situation, to be honest.
What if I tell you that you can still recover your lost phone without any GPS location, SIM card, or even the internet, and that too free of cost? Did you get excited? Yes, of course, that is certainly possible. All you have to do is track your lost mobile phone with the help of its IMEI number.
If you have absolutely no clue about an IMEI number and how it is operated, you better stick to this article for proper guidance. By the end of the article, you will get all the necessary details about How to track lost mobile with IMEI number?
Table of Contents
- 1 How does an IMEI number help to track a lost mobile?
- 1.1 What is an IMEI number?
- 1.2 How to get the IMEI number?
- 1.3 Other ways to get the IMEI number
- 1.4 How to rescue a lost phone without an IMEI number?
- 1.5 How to protect the data of the lost phone?
- 1.6 How to track lost mobile with IMEI tracker application?
- 1.7 Is it possible to change the IMEI number?
- 1.8 Wrap up
How does an IMEI number help to track a lost mobile?
With the IMEI number, the service providers or the investigating police in charge can have access to trace the current location of the reported stolen device. If somehow a call is made or a text is sent from the stolen gadget using the IMEI number, this will automatically trace the position of the device. Even you can do the same. All you have to do is install an IMEI phone tracker app or any other anti-theft phone app on your phone and track the site using the IMEI number of the stolen phone. This is that simple.
What is an IMEI number?
IMEI is the abbreviation of International Mobile Equipment Identity, which is an authorized 15 digit unique code. This distinct code acts as an identity certification for every individual mobile device. This code differs for every mobile device. As a result, it is a distinguishable factor that helps in the identification of a specific device on command.
How to get the IMEI number?
Have you noticed some information allowed in your newly purchased handset box? Whenever you purchase a new gadget, especially a mobile phone, it is necessary to preserve the handset box in a safe place. Why? That is because, in situations like misplacing or losing a phone, all the specific information comes in handy.
The IMEI number is usually labeled on the handset box near the barcode or anywhere behind the battery, depending on the brand.
Other ways to get the IMEI number
There are some alternative ways to get your IMEI number. The following steps are applicable for an Android phone user.
- Dialing of *#06#
First of all, you have to dial the digits *#06#. By doing so, the IMEI number, along with some details, will appear on your phone screen.
- Visit the settings option.
Another option is to visit the settings option of your phone. Depending on the mobile brand, they will get the about phone option either on top or bottom. By pressing the about phone option, you will get the IMEI.
The following steps will be applicable in the case of an iPhone user.
The iPhone is designed in a way that all the device data is stored in the iTunes of an iPhone. Internet connection is also not required to find the phone details.
Step 2 :
- First of all, log into the iTunes of your iPhone.
- Then, move to Preference > Device.
- Go to the iPhone backup section. Within a few seconds, the IMEI number, along with some other data, will pop up on your device screen.
How to rescue a lost phone without an IMEI number?
What if all your efforts failed, and now you are left with no IMEI number? Don’t lose your hope. There’s still one last option left. It is applicable for those without an IMEI number and any other security app installed on their device.
- Visit the Google play store of your Android phone.
- Search for the app Plan B.
- The next step is to install the app Plan B on your stolen phone remotely.
- This app will navigate the exact location of the lost device with other related technical data. These data will be sent to your Gmail account ID registered on the Android.
- Later again, if you command the app to trace the location using any other device, all you have to do is type the word ” Locate. ” Then send it to the stolen phone, and the address will automatically pop up on your screen.
How to protect the data of the lost phone?
As soon as you misplace or lose your phone, it is encouraged to request your service operator to block the IMEI number.
This will protect your private databases from being used for any malicious purpose. It is also advised to report a missing phone complaint and seek help from the police. You should ask them to track the current position of your lost gadget.
How to track lost mobile with IMEI tracker application?
After completing the process of IMEI number collection, it is time to get to the second part of the process, which is to trace the device using the IMEI tracker app.
- First and foremost, enter the Google Play store.
- Look for the app ” IMEI phone tracker. “
- Install the app ” IMEI tracker – Find my device ” or any other similar app according to your convenience.
- After this installation is done, the app will require the phone numbers of the individuals you trust. You can fill in the numbers of your friends, family, or anyone you trust.
If your phone gets stolen and a new SIM is inserted, texts will automatically be sent to your trusted phone numbers. The texts will provide details about the IMEI number and the exact location of the stolen phone.
Is it possible to change the IMEI number?
Yes, it is possible. In most countries, tampering with the IMEI number is illegal and considered a serious criminal offense. An app called The Flasher is designed to change the IMEI number. If the stolen phone’s IMEI number is altered, it is almost impossible to track and recover the stolen phone.
It is really important to ensure that the phone you use has all the security applications previously installed. That will increase the possibility of its recovery if it ever gets lost or stolen. It is better to preserve the IMEI number safely for tackling future mishaps. I hope you got all the details you were looking for, and now you know all about How to track lost mobile with an IMEI number?